It's Time for Arts Under the Stars!
CI’s Performing Arts Presents Arts Under the Stars -- Don't miss it on May 1 at 7:30PM
The Performing Arts Program at California State University Channel Islands offers a broad, integrated undergraduate experience in music, theatre, and dance, with attention to the relatively new fields of audience and performance studies. The core courses provide the base necessary for building an educational and professional career in the performing arts. Core courses offer experience in each of the three major areas of the performing arts--Dance, Music and Theatre--with special attention to current and future trends. Students also choose an emphasis to follow through one of the following areas:
- The Dance emphasis (PADA) provides concentrated study in collaborative dance performance and musical theatre.
- The Music emphasis (PAMU) provides concentrated study in commercial music and musical theatre and collaborative performance.
- The Theatre emphasis (PATH) provides concentrated study in acting, directing and musical theatre and collaborative performance.
The Performing Arts degree program stresses interdisciplinary, multicultural, international, and community engagement, as described in the University Mission statement. In addition to gaining expertise and experience in their chosen fields of Dance, Music, or Theater, students will gain interdisciplinary experience in the performing arts, with education and experience in the intersections between the fields.
The Performing Arts major will prepare students for further study and for entry into the performing arts professions.
Program Learning Outcomes
Performing Arts students will develop their abilities to think critically, analyze written and visual texts, express themselves effectively in written, physical and spoken forms, and to apply multiple theoretical perspectives to their own performances and the performances of others.
Students graduating from the Performing Arts program will be able to:
- Perform in one or more of the Performing Arts emphases of dance, music, and theatre
- Demonstrate critical thinking through analysis, interpretation, and evaluation of written, visual, and audio texts in an interdisciplinary context
- Understand and appreciate the roles of the performing arts in contemporary as well as historical cultures and societies
- Work collaboratively with people from a diverse range of artistic and cultural backgrounds
- Express themselves effectively in written, physical, and spoken forms in response to a variety of personal, local, global, and historical events
- Apply multiple theoretical perspectives to their own performances and the performances of others